Monday, December 3, 2012

Praise Winning Can-Dump


Get in my belly! 



Notice I said praise and not prize. I haven't entered this concoction into any contests but I do know that my husband ate three bowls of it last night and I doubt there will be any leftover for dinner this evening when I get home. 

I love making pots of stuff like this when I have a brain freeze over what we are going to eat for dinner. This is a low cost, low sodium, vitamin filled, stomach filling meal that is very easy to make. If you have the time you can always use dry beans in the menu and lower the sodium even more. You can top this off with crushed tortilla chips, fresh sliced avocado, shredded cheese or sour cream. I served ours with hot corn muffins. 


3 chicken breasts(cubed)
1 large tomato(diced)
1 medium white onion(diced)
4 garlic cloves(diced)
1 can low sodium black beans(drained)
1 can low sodium kidney beans(drained)
1 can low sodium corn(drained)
1 can Rotel tomatoes with diced green chilies
1 large can Muir fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon onion powder
Sea Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
1 tablespoon Red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Chili powder
1 tablespoon Oregano
Cilantro(optional)
5 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Todd's Low Down Dirt seasoning (find it by clicking here)  

Dice chicken breasts into small easy to cook cubes. Drop 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into a non-stick pan and add chicken, salt and pepper once oil is hot. Cook all chicken until done through. 

In large pot on medium to high heat add the three remaining tablespoons of oil, diced garlic, onion, and large tomato. Cook until onions becomes translucent. Next add both cans of beans, corn, Rotel tomatoes, Muir tomatoes, onion powder, sea salt, pepper, pepper flakes, chili powder, oregano, and Todd's Low Down Dirt. That company does not pay me or anything but I must say that I add their products to just about any dish I make and it is great. 

Drop in all of your cooked chicken and stir everything together. Take the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. If you are a cilantro fan like I am sprinkle it on top after you serve it. If not, curse the vile herb and move on. Add any of the previously mentioned toppings and a big spoon and you are set. 

Happy eating. 



No comments: