Tuesday, September 7, 2010

STFU then!

The fact that I DO NOT want my mother in the delivery room with me was nailed home this weekend when I remembered a tale she told me about my own birth. She said that during my delivery a woman down the hall was screaming and yelling. My mother asked why the woman was so loud and commented that she needed to shut up. This weekend I realized that my mother had epidurals with the both of us and she did not know if the woman down the hall was having her baby with or without drugs. She never knew if this woman was going au natural or not. Now I'm not trying to be a bitch here, (it comes without effort) but there is a difference in what you feel with and without medication. If there was no difference in the experience then there would be no need for the dang thing in the first place.

As she continuted to talk to me this weekend she said that she had considered having us naturally but she was afraid she would chicken out when the pain it and that it would be too late for the epidural. I am not sure if back in the late 60s early 70s there were many resources out there for women to choose from if they wanted to prepare themselves for natural childbirth. She was definitely not prepared and had to do what she had to do. Sadly she is not able to be supportive of me when I make the choice to educate and prepare myself either. She dosen't understand that women have been doing this since the beginning of time and I believe I can carry on that tradition. WhenI told her about the different positions you can assume for comfort during birth including the squat she said, " I would be afraid the baby would slide out!" Man I would love it if Hambone simply slid out. Isn't that a DREAM birth senario???!

Thankfully I have an awesomely supportive husband who thinks that I am very strong and can do it. When I mentioned the sliding out story to him he thought it was funny and at the same time Hambone gave a strong kick. Here's hoping that an easy agreeable exit is in its plans as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'm definitely interested in hypnotherapy and using the concepts from that. Here's to a slip-n-slide birth!!