Thursday, November 6, 2008

One person

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~Edward Everett Hale


I really like quotes and the one above is a good one I think. I am only one person but several of us one persons gathered at a house in Kirkwood, Atlanta. We found each other through the internet, where one persons of similar ilk find each other. We were all Democrats and gave our Sunday afternoon to calling other Democrats in the relatively red state of Indiana. Their stories were of lonliness and feeling as if they were the only blue fleck in a crimson ocean. Many lived in small suburbs of medium suburbs. They were not used to seeing or hearing from other blue flecks. We continuted to call anyway. Urging them all to go to their local Democratic headquarters and volunteer their time and their voices to the cause. Trying to give them hope and the encouragement to go out and volunteer in their communities.

During the posting of results on Tuesday night I kept my eye on the state. I knew it was considered a battleground state and was not sure how it would go. I remembered one of the women I spoke with who had four kids and a full time job but she had managed to find the time to volunteer. She could only give a few hours, but she knew she had to give something. She was one person also. Obama won Indiana. I hope that woman tells her children of the lesson she learned during this election. The power of one person is still power.

Just as we have worked together to see our candidate be named to the highest office, we must also work together to keep this wave of positive change progressing in our communities. We are in dire times but we know the impossible can happen. Bad can turn to good and darkness does turn to dawn even if there is only one person there to flip the switch. I am not some naive fool who thinks that all of our problems will be solved over night. But I am excited to see That One take his shot at flipping that switch.

No comments: